Monday, September 28, 2009

Autobiographies

11th August 2009, Tuesday


Autobiographies are one of the literature works that I like besides reading novels. Autobiographies are the story of a person’s life written by that person where as biographies are the story of a person’s life written by someone else. In class, I learned that “auto” which is the prefix for biography means “I”. In my opinion, autobiography will be more authentic compared to biography and is very valuable because it is first hand written by the particular person. As for biography, it may not be as reliable as autobiography because it is a writer’s narration of a person. It can be bias or not so well expressed.

In class, we learned about part of Nelson Mandela’s autobiography during apartheid regulations entitled “Robben Island: The Dark Years”. Nelson Mandela is the State President of South Africa on 10 May 1994 - June 1999. Even though State President is a person of authority and respect, Nelson Mandela’s autobiography reflected his turmoil and sufferings due to apartheid regulations such as being locked in isolated stone building old jail, given plain khaki uniforms and short trousers except an Indian who could get an insubstantial jersey, canvas jacket and long pants.

After reading Nelson Mandela’s autobiography, I am inspired by his courage and determination to pursue on in hardships. Nelson Mandela’s autobiography enables me to visualize the events of Apartheid regulations and how hard he has to suffer. Besides that, makes me reflect on a moral value that is learning to understand about the difficulties faced by others. They have been ill treated by others whether is in physically or mentally but still standing strong to face the hardships. I will ask myself, “What are the hardships I am facing today? Assignments and the bad habit of last minute. Can this be compared to Nelson Mandela? He is worse that you.” So, if compare my problems to his, my problem is nothing.














Nelson Rolihlahla MANDELA

Mandela's words, "The struggle is my life," are not to be taken lightly.

Nelson Mandela personifies struggle. He is still leading the fight against apartheid with extraordinary vigour and resilience after spending nearly three decades of his life behind bars. He has sacrificed his private life and his youth for his people, and remains South Africa's best known and loved hero.

(Taken from: http://www.anc.org.za/people/mandela.html)


No comments:

Post a Comment